Friday, February 27, 2009

My Name in Print!

I'm sure all of you can agree, there is something exciting about seeing your name in print... even cyber print. Just the other day, Ailsa posted "My Blog made the London Observer!" when her name (and status) were shown in an online story about facebook. It's a big day! For most of us, it doesn't happen all that often, and I admit to feeling just a little bit proud of myself - even when there is absolutely no reason to be - just for the sake that my name made it somewhere, somehow.

Well, a while back, I came across this photo competition for photojournalim / photoessay of series up to 12 images called the Leica Oskar Barnack Award. It's been going on for years, and like many contests, it now takes place online. The best part: ALL of the entries were posted ONLINE! (Ok, I'm not yelling... just excited!) I must have perused series posted by photographers from around the world for hours - days really. I was addicted. I absolutely LOVE series work. I wanted to enter.

Finally, I buckled down and worked for two days straight on putting together my series, trying to make it on par with the level shown online. Finally, I posted it. (To top it off, this contest is FREE!)

I'm not going to lie, I was a little nervous when my series didn't show up right away, or even within a few hours, or even the next morning! Did I get CUT??!!

Nah, with the contest closing date quickly approaching (March 1st), I realized that over 50 new series were posted the morning that mine wasn't. I guess they are a little back-logged on uploading! The next morning... there it was:

Dallas Ludwick, Canada

How exciting is that? (For me, very!)

I'm actually NOT going to post any photographs here, because I really think you should check out this site and the awesome series work from all around the world!

http://www.leica-oskar-barnack-award.com/#/en/contest/oskar-barnack-award-2009-entries/

Happy looking!

Posted by Dallas Ludwick, f/action member

No comments: