Sunday, January 31, 2010

Packing Light

Anyone with even a mild interest in photography eventually has one gruleing question to face....

What gear should I bring on my trip?

Backpacking was what spurred my interest in photography, originally. There is a certain quality of awareness when you are in unfamiliar surroundings. Every little detail is new and different and demands your attention. Creativity is everywhere.

Like every amateur photographer I planned and re-planned what equipment I was going to take. Everything was adjusted around how, where, when and with what will I shoot. Clothes, toothbrush, itinerary, accommodation... trivial details when it comes to my gear.

There is always the temptation to take everything 'just in case', though I know from previous experience that this is a bad idea. I like to pack light. I like to be able to go anywhere, even long distances. Walk around for four hours, tag along with people I meet and keep up with whatever they're doing.

Which isn't to say this is how everyone should be, it's just my personality. The disadvantage is that I can't take every shot that I want. My telephoto lens didn't make the size requirements so there will be none of those shots on this trip. Does that mean my creativity will be inhibited? Can I still fit all the stories that I want to tell within the two focal lengths I am bringing?

I guess that's the challenge. I don't know that I can, but I can't wait to try.

Henri Cartier-Bresson barely used two focal lengths his whole career. Neither did Robert Capa or Lee Friedlander. None of the legendary documentarians ever refused to take the shot because they didn't have the right gear.

So here's a shot of what did make the cut (minus the lithium and NiMh chargers, and the film). I also bought the tiniest day pack I could find (in the background). There's only enough room for one camera and one lens so I've got to make all my storytelling decisions before I leave the hotel for the day, and stick to that. Get to know 24mm inside and out one day, then really learn what is possible with a 50 1.4 the next.

Sure I'll be groaning sooner or later that I don't have this and I don't have that, but if I can pull it off, not only will my shoulders thank me but I'll be able to pack lighter during my professional work, confident that I have only what I need.

And if not.... there's camera stores in Mexico City.

post by Duncan McNairnay


No comments: