Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Layers of Greens

There's something magical that happens when you venture out with a macro lens. I've photographed the plants and flowers and trees in the yard at my uncles' cabin countless times, and still, I get so excited about going out again. Things are always new, there are always fresh ways of looking at how branches layer or how flower petals arrange at the end of a stem. Oh, how I love f2.8! (the largest aperture opening on my macro lens). Although this technical number may mean the chance at getting more light onto my digital sensor in most cases, this wonderful number also means extremely shallow depth of field, especially when focusing very closely on small objects. And shallow depth of field means a world of painterly strokes, ephemeral shapes and boundless wonder. You'd think I was talking about a long-lost paradise land, but I guess in a way, that's what I discover every time I go out and do some macro shooting! So here's to yet another stroll in the yard at the cabin. Greens upon greens, splashes of colour and some creepy crawly legs.
Posted by f/action member, Gabrielle Touchette.

No comments: