Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Light

There's something about windows that makes me stop and look twice when I'm walking by - especially when I'm walking by with my camera in hand. First of all, natural light is to die for when it comes to portraits... and getting a gorgeous spot with mid-day light emanating through glass - definitely worth a stop and some shooting. What I also love doing is shooting towards my source of light, and exposing for the shadow side of my subject (as in the first shot below).

Shooting towards a source of light is nothing new to me. It was an instinctual (yet clumsy) habit of mine when I first started experimenting with a camera. At the age of 13, I got a plastic point and shoot and for some reason, I loved experimenting with shooting towards the sun. Not easy when your point and shoot decides your exposure settings... but nonetheless, it's a technique I still love experimenting with (and I am no where near done figuring it out!).

Light. Photography wouldn't exist without it (and neither would we!). So maybe it makes sense that its intricacies always escape what we can fathom.



Posted by f/action member Gabrielle Touchette.

No comments: