Monday, May 4, 2009

from the other side of the lens....

If you feel awkward in front of a camera, you're not alone. In fact, you're one of 12 million Canadians who complain of heart palpitations due to large cameras, especially dslrs, pointed in their direction. Being the subject of a portrait session can be an unnerving feat to overcome, but rest assured, we're all in this together.

Ok, I just made up those statistics, it just rolled off my tongue! But seriously, I wouldn't doubt that that number's accurate. It's very common and more normal than not to feel awkward when being photographed.

For those people, being photographed is something they avoid at all costs. Yet a lot have no choice, and need pictures. Whether it be headshots they need for their line of work or family photos they need for their Christmas letters (who's never gotten one of those?), being photographed can not always be avoided.

But being photographed is not as bad as you may think. True, as a photographer, it is harder to direct someone who doesn't feel comfortable in front of the camera. A person's countenance is directly affected by how they feel. As I'm directing subjects, I often ask those who look visibly uncomfortable: "Are you comfortable?". They'll say no and I'll have them reposition until they feel just right. I ask them the question so they understand that it's important to me that they feel comfortable. (please, gone are the days of the painful awkward studio poses!) Once anyone feels better about their stance or pose, all awkwardness that was once showing dissipates.

I really enjoy the challenge of working with people who aren't so keen on being photographed. Working with people in those situations brings a great dynamic between the photographer and the subject. It gets you talking about the photography -- you're creating interaction and engaging your subject in honest dialogue. Everyone who has a personality and a soul can be photographed beautifully, given the right coaxing, directing and positive encouragement. It sometimes takes a little work, but that work builds trust and energy and the results are often more dynamic and inspiring.

These pictures were taken of my good friend Mandy, and if anyone knows her, having this many photos of her is a miracle. She loves photography and has been a great support and encouragement of my pursuit of professional photography, so she agreed to pose for me for a quick shoot. We worked through a few poses and ended up with some cute shots of her. I'm glad she gave me the opportunity to photograph her, and I hope these pictures will serve as a reminder that no one is impossible to photograph! (seriously, I told her she should use these for an online dating profile. haha)

Posted by f/action member: Gabrielle Touchette

No comments: